Jacob's CTF Server
Poll: Remove ice? - Printable Version

+- Jacob's CTF Server (https://jacobsc.tf)
+-- Forum: Minecraft Capture the Flag (https://jacobsc.tf/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News (https://jacobsc.tf/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: Poll: Remove ice? (/showthread.php?tid=1139)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Poll: Remove ice? - jack - 01-12-2019

No

RE: Poll: Remove ice? - Cheesse - 01-14-2019

Big ice discussion doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1z3GVeYeYHQeswahdyR8Ihpo9nmu6fHWd2-0uvTP1WWM/edit?usp=sharing

Feel free to organize your points here. Comment and make modifications as necessary.

RE: Poll: Remove ice? - Classic - 01-15-2019

Ice is a lag block, unpredictable and overpowers experienced players making them even harder to kill. It helps lower ping users have an advantage over higher ping users when used correctly. Higher ping users can fall through ice blocks, whereas lower ping users do not. Only benefit it has is allowing players to move quicker around the map, which means it's less about teamwork and more about individual speed plays.

CTF has always been about keeping everything balanced and giving everyone a fair game. Those who decide to not use ice will more than likely lose against players who do use ice. It wasn't always there like mentioned in this document, I think that is also important to notice. Watch old gameplay videos and play games now. Most games now are won by players who can use ice the fastest to escape with the flag. Whereas before the focus was about tactical decisions and working as a team to hold off the opposition.

RE: Poll: Remove ice? - steg - 01-15-2019

"Higher ping users can fall through ice blocks, whereas lower ping users do not."
Where did you get this information from? I also fall through ice blocks and I have one of the lowest pings on the server.
"Whereas before the focus was about tactical decisions and working as a team to hold off the opposition."
I agree, but the entire main objective of the game is to capture theĀ flag, not continuously defending hoping that a capture magically increases by 1 on your team. I don't think ice has done anything THATĀ drastic. Is it not more or less the same?

RE: Poll: Remove ice? - Brady - 01-15-2019

If you want to keep ice because it makes it easier to capture the flag, why don't we just make it so people can't kill each other at all?
I agree with classic about ice overpowering people who are already super good, and ruining the need for strategy and teamwork (which is often the thing that makes a game fun in the first place)
I will continue to play whether it's removed or not, but i like to fight people rather than having them zoom past 1 or 2 blocks above my head!

I meant by that statement that lower ping users do not fall through ice blocks as frequently compared to higher ping users, due to us higher ping users lagging in the first place. For example when I explode tnt it doesn't explode instantly like yours would. It delays by half a second or more.

The point about gameplay I'm trying to make relates to what eo said. Yes you are to capture the flags, but let's be honest if the game was just about capturing flags and who can do it the quickest, not many players would enjoy or stick around for that. Killing is another main part of the game, it adds to the "enjoyment" factor. Well if you look before ice players were all on the same speed level. This meant if you killed the defending team you had an easier chance of escaping because they couldn't spam ice to speed up to you. Whereas now if you aren't fast enough using ice or if you don't use it at all you're no match against players like you or myself. I don't think this fair, especially for new players. Also I've noticed how since ice can be laggy for some you can avoid tnt way easier (even though you should die). CTF was never intended to become a racing game, it's always been focused on teamwork and a level playing ground.

RE: Poll: Remove ice? - steg - 01-15-2019

"If you want to keep ice because it makes it easier to capture the flag, why don't we just make it so people can't kill each other at all?"
This sentence makes absolutely zero sense

Why can't you develop strategies and use teamwork to combat ice?

RE: Poll: Remove ice? - Brady - 01-15-2019

It makes plenty of sense! Take the time to understand it.

I can't even compete against skilled people normal, let alone with ice lmao

Like Brady said, players who aren't experienced/skilled or as good as you can't even handle the basics. How can you expect them to handle ice as well? Ice is mainly used to avoid battles and run away. Not many people want to spend most of the game chasing those using ice, it's boring and you can easily get turned on. Also it makes you speed and lag past players when they tnt anyway, so the opposition could use teamwork and players still manage to speed past because ice is so unpredictable like I said. You're asking too much for low skilled players who struggle already to play the game.

RE: Poll: Remove ice? - Cheesse - 01-15-2019

Falling through ice blocks is a purely local thing. It happens to everyone equally regardless of their latency.