Jacob's CTF Server
A List of Suggestions - Printable Version

+- Jacob's CTF Server (https://jacobsc.tf)
+-- Forum: Minecraft Capture the Flag (https://jacobsc.tf/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (https://jacobsc.tf/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: A List of Suggestions (/showthread.php?tid=1329)

A List of Suggestions - Subelectronite - 03-17-2021

I have a few suggestions that I posted in the Discord but I think they would be better organised here. Some of these will hopefully help to increase activity and encourage new players to play CTF.

1) Spec. Force players to join a team when they first login. Then you can choose to /spec if you don't want to play. This will put new players right in the middle of the action and encourage them to play. I recognise that this may be unpopular but I do think it will help new players stay.

2) Staff. Encourage Ops and VIPs to act more respectfully, and to introduce new players to the game. VIPs may appear to be higher in rank than Ops (who have a bold name) because of their tag, so it might be worth giving Ops a tag too, like [Op]. If new players see that Ops and VIPs aren't being respectful or helpful, they won't be encouraged to return to the server. Rules don't need to be as strict as they are on other servers e.g. NB, but a certain amount of respect needs to be conveyed by those with responsibilities. I do honestly think that staff player a larger role in maintaining a community than people think.

3) Maps. There are some maps that the majority of the community aren't a fan of, it could be worth holding a map poll and replacing those with some maps in more/. A map request system may also be beneficial, so players can request specific maps to be removed or old maps to be re-added.

4) IRC. I believe that this is currently being worked on, but enable players on Discord to talk to players on the server using #ctf-chat, it'll bring together the community more.

5) Tutorial level. I believe that this is also currently being worked, but a tutorial level that new players must complete before joining a proper game would be beneficial. This tutorial could include a few bots that you have to explode with TNT, followed by a few bots that you have to cook, followed by a mine that you need to defuse without dying. If a player leaves before completing the tutorial, they would start it from scratch upon their next login.

6) Tutorial video. I saw that DramaticLove is making a tutorial video, once that's made the link could be posted as a periodic announcement on the server, as that's what we do with BkayB's tutorial video for ZS.

7) Help. /help could be made more concise: info about flags and how to explode can be shown in /help, and info about other weapons (mines, flamethrowers, etc.) can be shown in /help more. A server message should be shown upon login, at least to new players: Type /help to learn how to play!

/help:
+ Capture the other team's flag and bring it back to your own.
+ Explode enemies by placing TNT and then purple wool.
+ Type /help more to find out more.

/help more:
+ Click the enemy flag to take it, then click your own flag to capture it.
+ Tag enemies by running into them whilst on your side of the map.
+ You can place mines (dark grey blocks). Enemies are killed when they walk near a mine. Defuse enemy mines by exploding them with TNT.
+ Type /f to use the flamethrower. The amount of time you can use it for is shown in the bar on the top right.
+ You gain points for killing enemies or capturing flags. Type /store to see how you can use those points.
+ Watch this video to find out more: (insert tutorial video)

8) Points. Make /points show how many points you have, since tab only show the total number of points you've earned, but not your remaining number of points. Adding it to the top right below the flamethrower bar would also be helpful.

9) Newgame. Make /newgame cancel a vote.

10) Vote. Shorten voting time. Even better, add a countdown for when the vote will end on the bottom right.

11) Commands. Remove /t/dtnt, /cc from /commands. Remove /stats, and rename the current /pstats to /stats.

12) Leaderboards. Add cooks to leaderboards.

13) Bugs. To quote DramaticLove:

Quote:Bugs most definitely also some maps that OPs can't change on /mapset won't keep the new changes it's kind of annoying. Also instead of bugging Jacob or Jack about adding or updating maps /mapimport should be fixed with the CTF Mapbuild server. (server needs more new maps- ppl need to be stop being lame and only wanting flat and open maps, while we can use custom blocks and textures!!)

I hope the admins and devs will take into consideration these suggestions, and in the future we can #make-ctf-great-again!

RE: A List of Suggestions - jack - 03-17-2021

Thank you for putting this here. It's hard/annoying to scroll through everything on discord and find what I am looking for.