Jacob's CTF Server
New Ranks (idea) - Printable Version

+- Jacob's CTF Server (https://jacobsc.tf)
+-- Forum: Minecraft Capture the Flag (https://jacobsc.tf/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (https://jacobsc.tf/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: New Ranks (idea) (/showthread.php?tid=495)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

New Ranks (idea) - killerninja891 - 01-28-2015

Quote:Notice: This is a borderline idea, and may be illegal as per the server rules. Still, jackhound123 told me in server to ask people for it, so this is my post.

This post triggered this idea:

(01-13-2015, 09:05 AM)eo2 Wrote: Most people on the server are more focused on their prowess with TNT, and consider the ability to steal the flag and get away safely secondary.
But I do believe that thoughts on how to capture the flag undetected is just as important, and back in the day thecountispurple was more focused on that than tnt, although he soon switched over.
The only real current flag capturer people are hammerman9, whose tunnels are undetectable, and killerninja, who knows almost every single route to the flag. Almost everyone else relies on traditional ways to get the flag, ex. blowing through the enemy team and hoping pure tnt skill gets you there.
In my personal opinion, the use of lines is simply too obvious to the enemy team, and for an enemy team with a dedicated defender, it is very easily counterable. I find that the best ways to capture the flag by avoiding people is the hammerman way: making tunnels in unconventional places or using unconventional routes to the flag. And always checking for mines.

I, like most other people may want in the future, agree on one single idea: Some of us don't actually want to be killed, and just capture flags. Me, for instance, only want to capture the flags, and use tags, but my heart gets ripped over when I get TNT'd. Which is not a problem for me if some people want to use TNT, I just don't. (I am a pacifist, that's why. But that does not mean I will not have some fun, tho).

The idea was for a rank, that mainly disables the use of TNT, but may allow mines, and store. In lieu of it, the player can get either or all: more speed, the ability to walk without getting hurt by TNT (just like in duels) but still being able to be tagged and maybe mined, or even the use of hacks or some other advantage.

Just losing the use of TNT and the other defense tools, but without any other extra advantage will create a big disadvantage, but, atleast in my case I don't want to, or limit severely the use of TNT.

Name may be capturer or/of pacifist.

By contrast, you may make another rank named warrior which gives you all fighting tools but gives you less speed, or that you should wait minutes, or some time before capturing a flag, or some other limit.

And there is alot between.

The idea for this is that newbies can't even get a chance against most of the people here, and some are real pro's at the game, and will not let anything on or below their radar. This can give us more of a choice and bridge the gap between players, vip and operators, and people who have experience and newbies, instead of just one player class which may not be the best.

Leave this at your consideration.

P.d: Make lines be un-destroyable for atleast 2-5 minutes after they were built, so that the loss of money is not much.

RE: New Ranks (idea) - Magic102 - 01-29-2015

Almost 99 percent of the people here use tnt, so I would have to say no. Not being able to be killed by the main thing is highly unfair. Tags are sometimes annoying to get, and with your idea of getting more speed, almost impossible unless you jump in front of them.

Mines are strategic but you can only place one at a time, and if everyone starts using the 'new rank' ctf will just be people trying to tag each other or find new hiding places for mines.

I admire your tries for trying to change the system, but until I grow wings and start an apocalypse, it probably won't happen.

Either way, new ranks aren't really what needs attending to. We first need more players than anything else.

And the warrior thing, nah. Slowing others down and speeding yourself up and making yourself impossible to kill with tnt would be terrible. I believe that most people would like to keep the system the way it is, instead of making others have advantages over the main concept.

The line idea is kinda off-center. Many people on the server have enough points to spam it all the time, and lines themselves are annoying in my opinion. The 'make lines be indestructible for at least 2-5 minutes' thing is a little much. Instead it would be easier to make is worth less. But that would be a little too easy and a lot more spam would fill the maps.

Plus with the "can't tnt a player" thing, if that person has the flag and gets to the other side of the map, the other team only has one shot at killing the person with a mine, which not many people put mines near the enemy flag to prevent someone from capturing it. Also with the flag being able to sit on the ground for a duration of time, another teammate could just pick it up and capture it.

I would have to vote -1 for all suggestions.

RE: New Ranks (idea) - T97 - 01-29-2015

1) "This is a borderline idea"

Borderline (Noun): A boundary separating two countries or areas.
Borderline (Adjective): Only just acceptable in quality or as belonging to a category.

This isn't a "borderline idea" unless you're suggesting an idea for the creation of a boundary between two countries or areas. I for one certainly do not see the quality of your idea to be anywhere close to being "just acceptable" or "belonging".

2) "I, like most other people may want in the future, agree on one single idea"

How have people from the future already agreed with you on your idea? Proof pls.

3) "Some of us don't actually want to be killed, and just capture flags. Me, for instance, only want to capture the flags, and use tags, but my heart gets ripped over when I get TNT'd. Which is not a problem for me if some people want to use TNT, I just don't. (I am a pacifist, that's why. But that does not mean I will not have some fun, tho)."

If you choose not to use TNT, don't bitch about having your heart "ripped over". (Which btw doesn't actually make any sense) I believe the word you were looking for may have been 'apart'?

4) "The idea was for a rank, that mainly disables the use of TNT, but may allow mines, and store. In lieu of it, the player can get either or all: more speed, the ability to walk without getting hurt by TNT (just like in duels) but still being able to be tagged and maybe mined, or even the use of hacks or some other advantage.

Just losing the use of TNT and the other defense tools, but without any other extra advantage will create a big disadvantage, but, atleast in my case I don't want to, or limit severely the use of TNT."

So basically the rank turns everyone into a hacker. Great idea! Seems really fair and balanced.

atleast in my case I don't want to, or limit severely the use of TNT.

You see, you can't really say that you don't wish to limit the use of TNT if you're instigating a rank that essentially cuts off all use of TNT. Anyone else amazed by the contradiction here?

5) "Name may be capturer or/of pacifist."

Yes because titles make ALL the difference don't they. And the "/of" was unnecessary unless you meant to call it "Capturer of pacifism", which by the way is the most hillariously nonsensical bullshit title I've ever seen.

Pacifism: The belief that war and violence are unjustifiable and that all disputes should be settled by peaceful means.

Being a pacifist doesn't mean not fighting, or in this case not using TNT. If you truly were a pacifist, you wouldn't even attempt to capture the flag as it is in no way, shape or form a "peaceful" method of resolving conflict. You see, capturing the flag causes many people to get butthurt. And isn't the use of store violent too?

Store Items:
1. Creeper - Makes you explode - 40 - /cr
2. Grenade - Throwable TNT - 20 - /gr
3. BigTNT - Get 7 TNT's with a 7x7 explosion - 70 - /bigtnt
4. Line - Builds a bridge - 30 - /line

/cr essentially turns you into a kamikaze, and we all know that kamikazes were the most pacifistic people in existence right?

/gr throws a FUCKING GRENADE at someone. I rest my case.

/bigtnt allows you the use of a more potent and deadly explosive, which you use, by the way, to explode enemies. Seems fairly peaceful doesn't it :b

/line is probably the ONLY item in the store that you could get away with calling pacifistic. Unless of course, and this happens only about 99% of the time in the game (but you know, it's only 99% of the time.), you use it to speed up your advance to the enemy base for the purpose of annihilating them and capturing an objective. Or you use it to escape with the objective, which is also perfectly peaceful isn't it.

(I am a pacifist, that's why. But that does not mean I will not have some fun, tho).

If you really are a pacifist, I recommend playing another game. Tetris, perhaps? If you're interested I'm sure Google could direct you to a more pacifistic game :b

6) By contrast, you may make another rank named warrior which gives you all fighting tools but gives you less speed, or that you should wait minutes, or some time before capturing a flag, or some other limit.

So what you're suggesting is that one "rank" grants players the ability to hack while the other makes them slow and essentially useless at everything. Why? Because the players with the Snail rank are able to use TNT. How brilliant and reasonable.

7) And there is alot between.

Between what? Oh wait, there's more? Great.

8) The idea for this is that newbies can't even get a chance against most of the people here, and some are real pro's at the game, and will not let anything on or below their radar. This can give us more of a choice and bridge the gap between players, vip and operators, and people who have experience and newbies, instead of just one player class which may not be the best.

So, you're saying that because of the low skill level amongst newer players, the players who've been around from before you were potty trained should be rewarded for their loyalty to the server with a nerf? Seems like a great idea.

We all started out as noobs. I got destroyed every corner I turned. But that's why I stayed. Because it was hard. Because it was actually a game. Because there weren't any whiny bitches who believe themselves to be pacifists coming on the server and after a few short months, asking for change. Grow the fuck up.

9) Leave this at your consideration.

Sorry, didn't quite understand that. Did you use Google Translate by any chance?

10) P.d: Make lines be un-destroyable for atleast 2-5 minutes after they were built, so that the loss of money is not much.

Firstly, it's 'P.S.' not 'P.d:' and it means 'Please see". Unless 'P.d:' means 'Please don't', in which case I agree with the statement entirely.

Secondly, the game is free, therefore no real currency is involved and money cannot be lost. Unless you're talking about electricity bills, but I don't think your 5 year old ass knows what that is yet.

Lastly, if they were "un-destroyable", who'd stop players from spamming and abusing /line to create impenetrable fortresses and walls? Are you hoping that we'll all become pacifists and sit around in our own bases and have a chat? Or perhaps you'd prefer to have a tea party.

Sorry, but I do not believe that this is what ANYONE wants to play. I clicked on the server to play on Jacob_'s Capture The Flag server, not to play Killerninja's Dress Up Party: Deluxe Edition.

P.S. Leave.

Bad idea, 1/10, would not read again.

Quote:Notice: This is a borderline idea, and may be illegal as per the server rules. Still, my heart told me to ask people for it, so this is my post.

This post triggered this idea:

T97 wrote: ->
(Thursday, 29th January, 2015 06:05 PM)

I'd like to suggest a borderline idea! (Both Noun and Adjective)
Maybe a fence between the areas of killerninja's body and ... the rest of the world?

You didn't have to put in any unnecessary words, but yeah I agree in full entirely with your statements and oppositions to the first post.

But as T97 said, giving people the ability to get extra stuff AND getting the use of walking faster, is eternally obsolete.

If you want a server that just plays tag, go code one or go find one on google, there is probably a few.

Society nowadays is full of violence, which in turn is in video games. Minecraft itself (or at least on the xbox version) is rated everyone 13+ for cartoon violence.

And what you are basically saying, killer, is that you want to be able to get the flag and then when you cross the line back into your side, you are nearly impermeable. By then, I think only the mine-set speed from caznowl would stop you.

But with contradiction to what T97 said at the end of his speech,

10/10 for a -1 again.

RE: New Ranks (idea) - eo2 - 01-29-2015

Can i just like not read all that and just say i agree with T97?

Alright, i have read your posts. Mostly.
I just want to say 2 things
Firstly, you are 100% T97/Maxi. A little overkill on the whole shutting him down thing, but you guys are right.
Second, i wanna speak up for killerninja. You guys are right and he is an idiot for suggesting this whole thing, but the way you went about it was a little mean. I was a little surprised at the P.S. Leave, which does seem a bit counterproductive.
As always, do whatever you want, but I just wanted to make my thoughts known. Future reference and all that good stuff

Well I'm sorry if I was a little mean, but I was talking about the idea, not him.

wild signatures :P
and less you than T97

RE: New Ranks (idea) - Paladin - 01-29-2015

Max is always mean ;p shes so hateful. And all ranks are meant to do on other servers is make you feel better about yourself.

RE: New Ranks (idea) - Jacob_ - 01-29-2015

For reasons that others have explained in unnecessary detail, I don't think the new rank is a good idea though. I definitely agree with the reasoning for it though, since I'm one of those people that just likes to try to get the flag and bring it back.

I thought I might have been imagining the trend away from strategy and toward exploding the shit out of everyone, so I found some older copies of the leaderboards:

2010: https://web.archive.org/web/20100708231055/http://mc.1scripts.net/ranks.php
2011: http://x.buildism.net/mc/ranks.php?view=kills
2013 (Vex): http://vexranks.syrukide.net/ranks.php?view=kills
2015: http://buildism.net/mc/ranks.php?view=kills

Notice the slight general increase in average kills per game over time. For me at least, CTF was a lot more fun when there was more to it than just trying to put your TNT in the right place and hoping you had a better connection than the other person. 1v1 TNT fights were even harder on Nox since you had to type /t to explode. No purple blocks at all, and several of the maps were 256 blocks across. It was a lot of fun though, and I never really got the same sense of adventure here. Most of the players from that server never joined this one for more than 10 minutes, and I never really thought about it but this might be why.

I would like to do something about this, but I don't think making TNT less powerful is the best way. I think maps are part of the problem, as I mentioned in another thread. One solution could be not ever putting smaller maps in the voting list if there are a lot of people online. And getting rid of stadium again because it's terrible.

I don't like stadium.
but this seems like a good idea.
also, in regards to more kills per game now, there is another factor there. many people do not finish games, hence kills being recorded on their account without a game being recorded. For instance, jacky probably does not actually average 58 kills per game. Sometimes this is intentional, sometimes it is not.