Jacob's CTF Server
On Ethics - Printable Version

+- Jacob's CTF Server (https://jacobsc.tf)
+-- Forum: Minecraft Capture the Flag (https://jacobsc.tf/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (https://jacobsc.tf/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: On Ethics (/showthread.php?tid=796)

Pages: 1 2

On Ethics - eo2 - 06-21-2016

Howdy, it has been quite some time since I have made a suggestions, but this one really came to me. 

I've noticed that we are no longer the most popular classicube server anymore (some ZS or something), which is bad in the sense that our community is smaller but good in the sense that there is a larger pool of people to bring in. I am well aware that some of our players overlap with theirs, so I would like to make a few suggestions to improve several things.

First -
Let's be open to newcomers! It's hard in such a high skillcap game like CTF, but we can always try. Because for every 20 noobs that leave after one game, there is a Justbest or Imster or dezdamoonbear waiting to whip our asses. Y'all know that though.

Second -
It would be nice for you ZS players to be positive about CTF and try to get players from other servers to try it out! Maybe they will hate it, maybe they will like it, you never know.

Third -
This is the idea that is outlandish enough to not happen, but also outlandish enough to be a great success like the the first few CTF parties we had. We set a designated time, everyone gets friends they have (whether through other games or IRL), people who don't know CTF and may not even know classic, and have like a Newcomer night. It's a lot easier for new players to learn from older players they know against other new players. That's how most of us learned when the game was still young and there was a much larger pool of players.

The eventual goal is to introduce more people to CTF which could in turn freshen up the scene and metagame(lol) a bit more. I think everyone would concur that more people is almost always merrier on CTF.

The first two ideas I am going to assume you agree with, if you don't please voice your reasons below. I am going to put a poll as to whether or not you think the final idea is worth trying. Keep in mind I will be away most of the summer so I will require YOUR help to make something like this happen.

RE: On Ethics - Drama - 06-21-2016

this will be us in summer again (the most popular):

those haters:

OKAY ANYWAYS
Yes I agree with everything, summer is almost coming and lots will be on. We should come up/have  some type of events besides the painful tournaments to keep the players attracted instead of have a same old tourney - all ideas and suggestions can be placed in this thread -> https://buildism.net/mc/showthread.php?tid=798&pid=7633#pid7633

Also I see its map building month so lots of maps will be coming thruuuuuuuu

RE: On Ethics - Jacob_ - 06-22-2016

Lol we used to have the opposite problem, I remember having to run a server for the top players on the leaderboard for a while.
[Image: 54ZwO2M.png]

I agree that CTF isn't the easiest server to get into for new people, but I'm not sure if there's much we can do about it. Compared to old MC people on ClassiCube tend to stick with one or two communities (us included, I don't play on other servers) so it can get a bit of a cliquey feel. And then there's the problem that it's really frustrating when everyone else on can kill you before you even see the TNT and you don't even know where the flag is.

It definitely helps when the more experienced players take time to show new people how to play. Also, if anyone wants to write a good beginner's guide that's more comprehensive than /help I could add a link to it in the random messages.

RE: On Ethics - jack - 06-22-2016

(06-22-2016, 11:27 AM)Jacob_ Wrote: Lol we used to have the opposite problem, I remember having to run a server for the top players on the leaderboard for a while.
[Image: 54ZwO2M.png]

I agree that CTF isn't the easiest server to get into for new people, but I'm not sure if there's much we can do about it. Compared to old MC people on ClassiCube tend to stick with one or two communities (us included, I don't play on other servers) so it can get a bit of a cliquey feel. And then there's the problem that it's really frustrating when everyone else on can kill you before you even see the TNT and you don't even know where the flag is.

It definitely helps when the more experienced players take time to show new people how to play. Also, if anyone wants to write a good beginner's guide that's more comprehensive than /help I could add a link to it in the random messages.

Last year eo and I planned to do tutorials for people once I got a new mic. I don't know if that's still on or what.

RE: On Ethics - XenonMan - 06-22-2016

I can put a tutorial video together, and I can start recording tomorrow as well
As for new players ensuring they watch it, perhaps include it as one of the server auto messages and on the website?
or everyone having it ctrl+v ready

RE: On Ethics - jack - 06-22-2016

(06-22-2016, 06:20 PM)XenonMan Wrote: I can put a tutorial video together, and I can start recording tomorrow as well
As for new players ensuring they watch it, perhaps include it as one of the server auto messages and on the website?
or everyone having it ctrl+v ready

It's really easy to add it to the server messages. I would like to help with it.

RE: On Ethics - Classic - 06-22-2016

No mercy will be granted.

RE: On Ethics - eo2 - 06-22-2016

Jer I can surely help you tommorow with that. Give me a time and we can do it, I have work but only in the morning

RE: On Ethics - Waffle - 06-27-2016

Nice, continuing from where Cat left off, which was an expansion on what Ian said. I think that during pafty hours, it would be cool to have a radio show. Ideally, it would be hosted by Jeremy, where he comments on news, the game, and of course, provides music with good energy. Co-hosts could change and have different people accompanying Jer; for instance one day Jack, one day Cat, another Ian, etc...

RE: On Ethics - jack - 06-27-2016

(06-27-2016, 11:11 AM)Waffle Wrote: Nice, continuing from where Cat left off, which was an expansion on what Ian said. I think that during pafty hours, it would be cool to have a radio show. Ideally, it would be hosted by Jeremy, where he comments on news, the game, and of course, provides music with good energy. Co-hosts could change and have different people accompanying Jer; for instance one day Jack, one day Cat, another Ian, etc...

Ahh, so, kind of like a guest commentator who is also a player but isn't playing who can give a different insight to why players do things and add to the technical commentary! I dig it. (up from my backyard)