Jacob's CTF Server
Banning Hotkeys from CTF - Printable Version

+- Jacob's CTF Server (https://jacobsc.tf)
+-- Forum: Minecraft Capture the Flag (https://jacobsc.tf/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (https://jacobsc.tf/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: Banning Hotkeys from CTF (/showthread.php?tid=826)

Pages: 1 2 3

Banning Hotkeys from CTF - Drama - 07-20-2016

I think it defeats the whole CTF game itself. Of course theres all the "PROS & CONS". 

Pros:
- Faster
- Easier
- Cheaper
- Trashy
- 'Everybody hates you'

Cons:
- Unfair
- Indolent
- "dgaf"
- Ruins the gameplay of CTF
- 'Everybody still hates you'

Obviously some of the points I listed are meant to be humorous, if not then you just rely on hotkeys for everything which is sad Sad

Anyways to my real main point now. Isn't ice enough? It changes the game play enough; faster movement.

We don't need hotkeys to take control over the speed for our explosion of TNT. Just be glad that there is two different ways to explode tnt and not just one way: /t (that would be Jakebosa 24/7 style).

We don't need hotkeys to take control over store spamming especially /gr, it's a really cheap way to stop a fast tight situation when the enemies have the flag and camp by a small passageways in the maps such as: subway and sector 9.

Now I'm not trying to be salty but I rather just have the old CTF gameplay that has been going on for 6 years since 2010 (included with ice since 2013)..
Hotkeys are just too OP and I propose it should be banned in the tournament as well.

Now this is only one voice speaking, feel free to say your own opinions down below.

RE: Banning Hotkeys from CTF - Random Guy - 07-20-2016

Hotkeys literally involve just the placement of tnt and the press of a key, which in my opinion require no skill. Anyone could do that.
I get one-shotted everytime I encounter someone that uses these, and it's no fun, admit it.
I also believe this should be banned from the tourney.
It would only cause chaos, and there would be no fun in tnt fights.
Although it even explodes fast, there's really no point in that.
As a very wise man that goes by the name of Mars said, only the placement of tnt matters.

RE: Banning Hotkeys from CTF - Jacob_ - 07-20-2016

Hotkeys have never been allowed but it's hard to catch someone using them.

RE: Banning Hotkeys from CTF - Cheesse - 07-20-2016

I disagree, not because I personally use them, but because I believe they are an enhancement to the game rather than an exploit.

Currently, CTF is a difficult game for beginners to grasp. Successfully placing and detonating TNT quickly is a complicated action done on a keyboard; it requires the muscle memory and comfort that new players do not have, and therefore, they are easily discouraged from playing. The use of hotkeys for detonating TNT gives the new player easier control over his TNT, thus enabling him to have a fighting chance against more experienced players. Then the new player will no longer be discouraged from playing because of this more comfortable method.

This does not "break" the game, since the nature of the use of TNT remains unchanged. All that hotkeys do is lower the skill level required to actually USE TNT. Of course, there are other factors in the use of TNT that still require experience, such as accuracy and distance, that the use of hotkeys does not affect.

In all cases, the prohibition of hotkeys would be very difficult to enforce, and it's impossible to accurately detect it using only eyesight.

As for the use of store items, a cooldown can be added to each of them.

CTF is an old game. Change isn't bad. CTF needs to have new ideas and concepts breathed into it once in a while.

RE: Banning Hotkeys from CTF - Drama - 07-20-2016

(07-20-2016, 10:05 PM)Jacob_ Wrote: Hotkeys have never been allowed but it's hard to catch someone using them.

If it's hard to catch someone use them then just disable that shit so nobody can use them then we'll don't need to blame others or keep an eye out on people.
or atleast have a cool down on the /gr just like what /r has but lesser seconds

(07-20-2016, 10:15 PM)Bel Wrote:
(07-20-2016, 10:05 PM)Jacob_ Wrote: Hotkeys have never been allowed but it's hard to catch someone using them.

If it's hard to catch someone use them then just disable that shit and nobody can use them so we don't need to blame others or keep an eye out on people.

Hotkeys can't be disabled. They are client-side only.

RE: Banning Hotkeys from CTF - Random Guy - 07-20-2016

(07-20-2016, 10:11 PM)Cheesse Wrote: I disagree, not because I personally use them, but because I believe they are an enhancement to the game rather than an exploit.

Currently, CTF is a difficult game for beginners to grasp. Successfully placing and detonating TNT quickly is a complicated action done on a keyboard; it requires the muscle memory and comfort that new players do not have, and therefore, they are easily discouraged from playing. The use of hotkeys for detonating TNT gives the new player easier control over his TNT, thus enabling him to have a fighting chance against more experienced players. Then the new player will no longer be discouraged from playing because of this more comfortable method.

This does not "break" the game, since the nature of the use of  TNT remains unchanged. All that hotkeys do is lower the skill level required to actually USE TNT. Of course, there are other factors in the use of TNT that still require experience, such as accuracy and distance, that the use of hotkeys does not affect.

In all cases, the prohibition of hotkeys would be very difficult to enforce, and it's impossible to accurately detect it using only eyesight.

As for the use of store items, a cooldown can be added to each of them.

CTF is an old game. Change isn't bad. CTF needs to have new ideas and concepts breathed into it once in a while.

Do you honestly know how annoying it is because I get killed by it in less than a second, and it seriously pisses me off.

(07-20-2016, 10:18 PM)Random Guy Wrote: Do you honestly know how annoying it is because I get killed by it in less than a second, and it seriously pisses me off.

It's almost impossible to tell if someone is using hotkeys. An experienced player can place and detonate TNT around the same speed as a player using hotkeys.

RE: Banning Hotkeys from CTF - UnknownShadow200 - 07-20-2016

To clarify, the client does not provide any indication to the server whether a command was entered via typing or via using a hotkey.

It's still possible to remove all the client-side hotkeys, you just need to implement http://wiki.vg/Classic_Protocol_Extension#TextHotKey
Then for every key, and then for every possible combination of key modifier flags, send a SetTextHotkey packet with the Action field empty. This will remove all client-side hotkeys.

RE: Banning Hotkeys from CTF - Waffle - 07-21-2016

I agree with Cat. And about not being able to impose the rule, um I'm no computer guy, but can't tou use the same concept of lag pillaring? Like past the bulding height, the server denies the blocks. Well, if the increments of time between the tnt explosions is short enough, the server ahouls be able to atleast have SOME control. Perhaps after that, an Operator could investigate the peraon, just my quick two cents, I'm at work ?